Smart Data Recovery does exactly what its name suggests. This tool can rescue files after being erased, even if they have been lost as a result of formatting the partition. Likewise, it supports any read-write storage media, including both internal and external devices. In addition, it is compatible with FAT32 and NTFS file systems.
Fortunately, the tool allows two different types of scans: quick and deep. My suggestion is that you try quick scan first to see if the intended files can be found because performing a deep scan may take much longer. However, you might probably want to reduce that time dramatically by using file name filters to narrow the scan.
Once the scan is done, the application shows a list of the files found. It is good news that you can actually preview a file’s content before proceeding to recover; yet, not all file types can be previewed. Unfortunately, deleted files are grouped by file types and it is not possible to browse the folder structure. Likewise, the tool cannot give you a recovery prognosis for each file.
All I can say about the effectiveness of Smart Data Recovery is that is successfully found deleted files on my local drives. To tell you the truth, its trial version never allowed me to assess the accuracy of the recovery process.
- Supports all kinds of RW storage devices
- Two types of scans
- Uses filters to reduce the time it takes to perform a scan
- Preview of some types of files
- Does not allow browsing delete files in their original folder structure
- Some file types cannot be previewed
- Cannot give a recovery prognosis for each file
- The trial version cannot actually recover data